Sunday, January 27, 2013

Snogging with the sound like a drain being unclogged

          The VS house had a get-together at their house on Friday. I decided that BARTing to Ben's house, then BARTing with him to the VS house would be sort of stupid (not to mention expensive), so I met him there. As I was riding down the sidewalk on my bike, I tried to pass a guy. Unfortunately, my tire slipped off the edge of the sidewalk and into a crack. When I tried to get back out, the wheel caught and dumped me onto the sidewalk, where I executed a nimble ninja-roll, jumped to my feet and continued on my way. Yeah, I wish. It was more like “??!?!?!? AAAAAACCCKKKK @#$%@#!!!!!!!!!” Not quite as graceful. And as I went down, I hit the guy I was trying to pass. Whoops. And my chain came off, so I had to get all down and greasy to fix it. Stupid bike chain. The rest of the trip continued without incident.   
       I was the first one to show up at the house (Yeah, I'm THAT person...), so I just hung out and watched Chelsea make pizza and talked to Alyssa about my cousin Michael's upcoming visit. Then other people finally showed up, including a Berkeley girl who had been an associate VSer in Kansas City with Sierra Pryce (yay quasi-Bethel connection!) We played Catchphrase and some other games, had peanut butter cookies and Jell-o, and met some new people (hooray for a potentially-expanded friend circle!)





       On Sunday, Ben and I just hung around and did boring, productive things. At 230, we went to Cheeseboard Pizza, this super well-known pizza place that's just a couple blocks from his house. There's always a big line outside, but we thought that if we went at a weird, non-meal time, we wouldn't have to wait in line. Yeah, that wasn't the case. Luckily, we were in line right in front of a loud-talking recently-begun-dating couple, and their conversation was much more interesting that any small talk that we would have been making. So we eavesdropped. All of a sudden, the talking stopped and this loud sucking/squelching sound began. I was like “what in the name of everything IS that?” and I turned around and they were hardcore making out. In one of the HP books, Ron and Lavender are described as “snogging” with “a sound like a drain being unclogged.” It was like that. Thankfully, we were able to sit right next to them and eat our pizza, so we were blessed with even more of their insightful conversation. The pizza was good. We sat on the grassy median on Shattuck, leaning against the sign that said “Please don't sit on the median.” Other people were there too, so it's ok, right? Then we got some gelato, which was delicious.   


The male from the violently-snogging couple can be seen behind Ben's shoulder
        I had to be backup support for a fundraising presentation at a church in Walnut Creek, so Ben took some time and drove me up there and back again. During the mass they sang a song to the tune of “Come Thou Font,” and I was like “I CAN SING THIS!!!!!” So I belted it, sort of. Unfortunately, since they're Catholic and can't sing four-part/at all, I had to sing the soprano part, since I can't remember enough of the alto to harmonize.  One of the speakers used the term "prostate" instead of "prostrate," which caused me to snicker a little bit louder than was appropriate.  THERE IS A DIFFERENCE, PEOPLE!!!!  
        Sunday was spent waking up stupidly early so we could get to church on time. Once we got to the church, we met Michael, who is doing a Bethel admissions tour of the West Coast. Evidently he had to get up earlier than us to drive here from Fresno. So we did the whole church-service thing and then hung out later, waiting to ambush potential Bethel students and determining if he was related to any of the FMCSF church members. He'll be around for the next couple of days, so we're planning some stuff to do on Tuesday.   

No comments:

Post a Comment