Saturday, March 16, 2013

I Can Haz Job?


       I have a job. A job that I really think I will enjoy, and one that will definitely get my foot in the door. Here's what happened:
      I've been submitting resumes for time immemorial, and haven't heard much back, other than “Hey, just FYI, I can't open your attachment.” Then, suddenly, on Tuesday, this guy calls at like 9pm, super rushed sounding, like “Hey-so-are-you-available-for-an-interview-on-Friday-for-a-job-at-UCSF-Medical-Center?” Whoa dude, slow down. Turns out they were a staffing agency that was helping UCSF put together a group of people to “float” to different departments as needed. They wanted to interview like 40 people to get together a group of 15, and my resume had come through the chute at just the right time.
So I showed up this Friday afternoon, to the 37th floor of a Montgomery St skyscraper (they have a beautiful view. If I worked in their office, I'd never get anything done) for the interview. The staffing agency talked to me for a bit about what to expect in the upcoming interview, then took me back down to the basement of the building (my ears popped on the way, that's how high we were) for the interview. It was essentially speed dating. The interview lasted 10 minutes and then at the end, they told the guy yes or no regarding my employment status. So I put on my “I-am-a-super-personable-person” game face and rocked the interview. And they hired me.
         So then they were like, “Hey, can you come back next week and do some paperwork and take a drug test?” And I was like “Um, my sisters are coming next week and I won't really have time, can I just do it now?” So I did. I guzzled down some water, then walked to the clinic that does the drug test. And then I sat there. For an hour. On a full bladder. They should implement that at Guantanamo or something. Good grief. Finally, the lady called me back and was like “Ok, you have four minutes to fill this cup a quarter of the way full,” and I was like “Not a problem.”
         So anyway, now I have a job. And the training phase (where they shove a bunch of admissions protocols down my throat) starts on the 25th,, lasts for a week, and then I can start real work after that. It's temp-to-hire, so if the managers in one of the departments that I float to like my performance (which has always been the case in previous jobs), they'll hire me for real. And I need to move out of the CW because obviously if I don't work there, I can't live there. And my sisters are in town this upcoming week. It'll be a real busy few weeks, full of lots of changes, that's for sure.
          But the main point is, I have a job. In a hospital. And it looks like it will be a really good opportunity to get some really good experience and make some really good connections.   

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Clair/Claire. I'm excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! Super awesome. Good luck with the start of the new job!

    ReplyDelete