Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Estamos comiendo sapos! Estan muy bien good!


        Today rocked. Even though it was Wednesday, and Wednesdays are the days that suck the hardest, when everything was cleaned up and put away, I thought “Wow. Today was GREAT.”
        I went to Berkeley today like usual, got all the cakes and pies and breads and donuts and whatnot, then took a nap, like usual. But I did NOT hit “snooze,” which probably made all the difference in the world. We made a lot of food yesterday, anticipating like 60 people, which is what usually shows up around this time. But since it was the first part of the month, everyone had gotten their checks from the government, and had spent it on Burger King or whatever instead of coming to us for food. So yesterday there were only 25 people, meaning that there were lots of leftovers for me to pass out today, which was nice. Today's menu was beans and rice (of course!), salad, a plum/apple, muffins, a sweet potato and a piece of bread. It's always nice when I can offer a heaping plate of healthy food to people on the street. That sounded super........ idk..... like I'm some sort of pure-hearted healthy food fairy distributing food to the poor beaten down souls who just need a ray of hope in their lives; and I definitely don't think that. It's just that I know that sometimes healthy food is more expensive than like a bag of Doritos, and so it's nice when I can give away lots of nutritious food that actually tastes good.
          Well anyway, after I passed out about 20 plates of food, I shifted into MAJOR CLEANING MODE, which meant that I did a really thorough job with the cleaning, which is really actually kind of fulfilling (this is the point at which my mother sits at the computer, throws her hands up in the air and shouts “YES!!! I did it!!!”). So anyway, the house is nice and sparkly-clean now. At least until tomorrow, when we unload and distribute several tons of produce and track onion skins EVERYWHERE. While I was cleaning, the “heat wave” (85 degrees, HA!) broke and a nice cool breeze sprang up. I stood in the wind on the back porch, listened to the car wash playing the radio coverage of the Oakland A's while “The Piano Guys” played on Pandora and thought “Yeah. Ok. This is good right now. I can do this.”
        While I worked on the cleaning, I also started preparing supper, which was going to be white chili. I grabbed a frozen chicken out of the freezer and threw it in a pot to boil, which I'm pretty sure is what you are absolutely NOT supposed to do. I think it needs to be thawed first, but I forgot. Supper was kind of late because I didn't throw the beans in until about 445, and they need 2 hours to soften up. Oops. But when it was done, it was a SMASHING success. Everyone loved it. We had white chili (with cilantro and CHEESE!!!), watermelon, tortillas (that I heated myself on the stove, which is hard), and sweet potatoes. The chili was super spicy because I had added a lot of cayenne pepper... but they all said it was good. I was sweating and sniffling, though. Oh well.
         About halfway through, I realized that I had forgotten to pull the sweet potatoes out of the oven, so I brought them out. Everyone here loves sweet potatoes. Like, LOVES them. They were so excited! I don't like sweet potatoes. They are so soft and squishy, and the texture is just gross! And they're ORANGE! Who does that? The residents were all trying to convince me to eat them, but I told them that they were too soft and I couldn't do it. Then they decided that I didn't like them because they felt like “sapos,” or toads. So they had a grand ol' guffaw about eating toads.   But when it was all said and done, DP said that the meal was “bien good,” which is just about the highest compliment you could get, because he only whips out the English on special occasions. They decided that I was the best cook in the house. Haha, take THAT, Grace!
          Oh, and this was all done in Spanish. In the last week or two, my ability to speak and understand has just ROCKETED upwards. I'm almost to the fluidity that I had when I left Guatemala two years ago, which is nice. So all in all, today was a really good day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment