Friday, October 12, 2012

I miss this stuff.


Disclaimer: On this blog, I try to be pretty upbeat and not a Debbie Downer, because no one wants to read about whining all the time. That said, this post is not going to be full of rainbows, koala bears, and stuff, so if you want to read that, go read “The Oatmeal.”

For the most part, I don't mind living here in Oakland. It provides valuable experience to me, something that would be more difficult to find had I remained in Kansas. However, there are certain things I miss about Kansas, and after a month-and-a-half of living here, away from those things, their absence is really starting to become noticeable.
  1. Bethel College. This weekend is their 125th anniversary celebration, and while I'm sure it was absolute hell to put together, this is the first year that I wouldn't have to be involved in that aspect of Fall Fest. And I can't go. Having been to Fall Fest pretty consistently for the last 8-10 years, not being able to attend leaves a pretty big gap in my October. I also know that all sorts of super fun things are going on that I can't partake of (Clint Harris/Kelly Reed improv, Secret Garden, verenike, New Year's cookies, FRIENDS) and that makes me really sad. Because although I think Clint Harris is a giant poopface, and I hope all of his jokes fall flat, I still wish I could tell him that to his face, instead of over a blog post. I also miss the rest of Bethel, the day-to-day stuff, the professors/staff, the Ad Building, making agar in KSC, taking pictures of football games, and just everything about it (except tiffs with Student Life. And the Caf).
  2. Family and Friends. This is the first time in my life that I have not been consistently surrounded by either family or friends. In high school, I saw my friends for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, and on Sundays. The other hours, I was at home with my parents. In college, I was surrounded by my friends 24/7. To suddenly go from having friends literally within 10 feet of me at all times, to having to walk half an hour to a BART train, take a half-hour train ride, then walk another half an hour to see friends, well, that is not very fun. And I know that's part of being an adult, and I do enjoy living with the people in my house, but you know? It's different from anything I've experienced before and it's not my favorite thing. I miss sitting in the Caf and cracking dirty jokes, making fancy sauce and cheese fries, taking pictures of everything and everyone, making those inside jokes that only your family gets, walking to meals with my mod (even though Camille's long legs made me huff and puff to keep up every morning!), taking camping trips, being able to just walk up a flight of stairs or across the mods courtyard to see friends, and to be a part of a distinct community of young adults.
  3. Kansas. I miss Kansas. Haters gonna hate, but I think Kansas is a fantastic place to be. Sure, it's not “on the pulse of the nation,” as Ben likes to say, and it doesn't have a lot of fun big cities, nor does it have public transit (which is actually super nice), but it is my home, and I miss it. I miss open roads past fields of sunflowers, milo, and prairie; I miss the sunsets (the fog obscures them here); I miss the quiet; I miss the open skies unobscured by electrical wires or tall buildings or light pollution; I miss waving to everyone on the road, regardless of whether or not I know them; I miss walking by myself at night; I miss the changing seasons (even though the leaves don't turn pretty colors); and I even miss the absolute lack of topography (because riding a bike in the city SUCKS).
Well, that's about it. All I can say is, “Thank god for Facebook, because without it, I'd never be able to stay in touch!” And thanks to all you people who have sent me mail! I love mail, and I love people who send me mail.
I miss you all, and I love you very much.


 I miss hanging out at Eric's house with these people.
 OMG I MISS SWING DANCING!!!!


 Creekers.  What a magical place.
 Poopface.


1 comment:

  1. Dear Claire,
    I miss you! I love that you regularly post updates on your blog so I can stay connected to you even though I never talk to you. Please know that I creepily stalk your blog! Also, I sleep with my fire blanket every night. Thank you!
    Love,
    Schraggy Pants

    ReplyDelete